Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL19 Day 4: Bring on Schoolwide Book-a-Day!

Books are one thing I never tire of. Browsing through a bookstore or library can easily take an hour. If I see a new title on a shelf, I’m immediately attracted to it. Are people at the next table discussing a book? That’s a conversation I just have to join. When a student asks me if there’s another book in the series, I have to hop online and find out (and sometimes place a pre-order!)

So, it should come at no surprise that I love March is Reading month. I started a tradition at our school a few years ago that helps me share my love of books and reading with even more people: the Schoolwide Book-a-Day. It’s a glorious thing!

It all started when I began doing Classroom Book-a-Day (created by Jillian Heise) in my own classroom almost four years ago. When March came around, I thought I’d help other teachers bring this into their own classroom. I gathered a stack of picture books and put them in a crate in the main hallway. Teachers could grab a book, read it to their students, and then swap it for a new book the next day. It’s as simple as that!

Some of the books are new to me (Bag in the Wind by Ted Kooser) and some are old favorites (The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires). I try to get a mix of light and serious stories, poetry and narrative, fiction and nonfiction. There are a few books I’ll read and think, “Meh,” but there are other books I can’t wait to share with students.

Did you know there were floatingĀ libraries on the Erie Canal? That’s what we learned from today’s book, The Book Boat’s in by Cynthia Cotten. There were so many great things to discuss and learn in this story!

Image result for book boat erie canal

I wonder which book each of my students will select as their favorite at the end of the month. Happy Reading!!

6 Responses to #SOL19 Day 4: Bring on Schoolwide Book-a-Day!

1. Natasha says:

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing how it works at your school.

• cwegrzyn says:

It’s gotten to the point where my students say, “But what about Book-a-Day?!?” if we start running low on time. Thanks for reading and commenting.

2. karpenglish says:

That sounds like a really fun tradition! Enjoy your reading experiences.

• cwegrzyn says:

Thanks! I should have Sliced about setting 25 books on the circulation desk, fitting them (mostly) into a backpack, and carrying them to my classroom. LOL!

3. Anna says:

This sounds like something my class would enjoy too. Even though they are 4th graders and most people would think they would hate being read to they love it. I may share this idea with my colleagues.

• cwegrzyn says:

Try it out! I usually have a few 5th graders who are hesitant about picture books when we start in September, but it quickly becomes one of their favorite parts of the day.