Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

Craving for Knowledge

Craving for knowledge.  This is listed as one of the typical characteristics of gifted individuals, and this seems to apply to each of the students in my class.  The students definitely show their excitement in different ways, but I can get them all hooked by letting them ask questions and helping them find the answers.

We have a Question Box in the classroom.  I wasn’t sure what to expect at the beginning of the year when I introduced this, but there has been quite a variety of questions so far these couple two months.  Some of the questions seem strange at first (“Who invented the alphabet?”), but it turns out it came from looking at the alphabet strip at the front of the room.

The Question Box has helped me deal with the barrage of questions that I typically get during any given lesson.  I’m sure my students silently groan when I say, “If you have any more questions, please share them in the Question Box,” but it sounds better to me than, “I’m put of time for questions.”  Sometimes the questions show up in the box; other times they don’t.  The important thing to me is that I’m honoring and validating their curiosity.

I haven’t unshared Wonderopolis with this class yet, but last year’s class really enjoyed the site and information whenever we pulled it up.  I think I need to find a way to make it a part of our weekly routine.