Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL19 Day 26: Storyteller

I kind of kept March SOL to myself last year. I was a first-time participant, and I didn’t really see myself as a writer at that time. I joined because of the challenge–because I knew it was something I should do. You know those kinds of things: eat kale, make pizza with whole wheat crust, stop at one cup of coffee, drink more water, go for a walk, etc. After a couple of times, you realize you actually like these things (except for the one cup of coffee goal), but making them part of your lifestyle takes time.

That’s how SOL was for me. This year, it’s different, though. Now I tell my family about the stories I’m writing. I love to tease them when they do something outrageous with, “Ooooh! Now I have my next writing idea!”

***

“I’m ready for reading,” my daughter says. She’s in her pajamas, teeth brushed. I’m at the dining room table, clicking away at the keyboard.

“Give me just a minute,” I reply. I need to make a few notes about my writing that’s due tonight.”

“What are you writing about?”

“A story that you all say happened that didn’t happen,” I taunt.

She hardly acknowledges me. “Oh, we all know. You’re a storyteller just like Grandpa.”

Little does she know, that’s one of the best things she could have said to me right then.

6 Responses to #SOL19 Day 26: Storyteller