Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL18 Day 19: Swirling Thoughts

How can I possibly write a Slice right now? I have SO much swirling in my head after a weekend at the Michigan Reading Association’s Annual Conference! Fortunately, I’ve seen a few structures that others have used in their Slices that would help me right now. 🙂

I could write about being energized by Colby Sharp and Donalyn Miller as they talk about the Nerdy Book Club and The Curiosity Project.

I could write about chatting with people I had just met about a few of our favorite books.

I could write about crying with Manny Scott as he talks about The Power of One.

I could write about one of my cats insisting on some quality time on my lap right now!!!

I could write about seeing pictures of Lois Lowry’s reading life as a child.

I could write about the thrill of discovering a few of the 40+ online databases that the Michigan eLibrary makes available to everyone in our state.

I could write about getting a bookmark made out of elephant poo from local author Linda McLean.

I could write about laughing with Jason Reynolds about his keen observations of a snooty first-class passenger.

I could write about the math part of my brain dancing as Dr. Mike Schmoker shares data.

I could write about making crow noises to find group members in a presentation literacy session.

I could write about knowing I made the right session choice when I saw Smokey Daniels also in the audience listening to Nell Duke speak about project-based learning.

I could write about squirming as I watched a video of Barrington Irving swimming within feet of a deadly sea snake.

I could write about looking out over the Detroit River on a beautiful sunny, cloudless day.

I could write about the power of having Byron Garrett delivering his entire keynote, not from the stage, but from the front rows of the ballroom floor.

I could write about the joy of watching my children go out and play with our neighbors after dinner.

I could write about needing to follow Donalyn’s inspiration from today and write down what is in my head and heart.

Happy Monday and Happy Writing, everyone!

3 Responses to #SOL18 Day 19: Swirling Thoughts