Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL19 Day 30: MarioKart

Whenever I go to the library, I scan the thin, red Switch game covers for a copy of MarioKart 8 Deluxe. We are big Mario game fans, but we haven’t bought this particular one yet because we already have two versions of MarioKart for different systems (the Wii and DS). Once you have one MarioKart, you don’t really need another, right? Well, the library had a copy of the game available today so my family and I will be taking a test drive to find out for sure.

My daughter and I grab the controls and get started. First, we select our avatars (Princess Peach for Me and Baby Peach for her) and .then our vehicles (motorbikes for both of us). The first thing I notice is that I recognize many of the courses from our other Mario games, and all the races look so fun! Should we choose Peach’s Castle or Bowser’s Castle? Donut Plains, Sweet Sweet Canyon, or Cheese Land? With our avatars, it makes sense to choose the Flower Cup and have our first race be around Peach’s Castle.

Everything about the game is so much fun: flying over of the course at the beginning, zipping off the starting line, trying to snag coins and mystery boxes, dodging obstacles, and trying to pass opponents. We laugh when we crash into something and cheer when we pass one of the computer players.

There’s so much more for us to explore in this game, and I have a feeling that we’re going to miss it when our 7-day rental comes to an end.