Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL19 Day 29: In Need of Spring Break

There are some things that only Spring Break can fix, and that’s how my mind and body are now. Hitting snooze, drinking tea, reading Slices, checking Twitter–none are making enough of a difference right now.

A sudden, “Goodbye, Mom! Goodbye, Dad!” breaks my trance. If my middle school son is heading out the door now, I definitely shouldn’t still be sitting here in my pyjamas!

“Bye! Have a good last day!” I reply. I press sleep on the laptop, begrudgingly push the chair back from the dining room table and shuffle with my empty mug into the kitchen.

After going through the motions of getting washed and dressed, I head back downstairs for the last thing I need to do before heading out the door: packing a lunch. The first thing I grab is a pack of tuna that I noticed tucked behind the cereal box when I was cleaning up after dinner last night. As I take a fork from the silverware drawer, the grapefruit on the counter catches my eye. Not sure how it goes with tuna, but I just love grapefruit, so in the lunch box it goes. “Hmmm,” I say aloud. “What else?”

“Animal crackers!” my daughter suggests.

Well, I do need something crunchy. I grab a snack pack of those and toss them in my lunch box. If this is all I take, I’m doing to eat half the chocolate in the office candy jar, and that’s not a wise choice. I take another look on the counter and take a cheese bagel from the pack. I wrap it in the reusable wrap I have and toss it in.

“What are you taking in your lunch?” I ask my daughter.

“Yogurt,” she replies.

“Not the cheese ravioli?”

“No.”

I smile and add the dozen or so mini ravioli leftover from dinner to my lunch. The fridge door is almost closed when I have another thought and pull it open again to grab a small container of marinara sauce and the shaker of parmesan cheese.

My husband and daughter are now staring at me since this is nothing like the usual lunch of salad, cut fruit and vegetables, and pretzels that I normally pack. “Don’t worry,” I joke. “I’m not taking the whole container of cheese.” I remove the lid and shake some into a small plastic cup, but two big clumps fall in the process. “Or, maybe I am,” I quip. We all laugh as I correct it to a reasonable amount.

I shake my head at the unusual foods filling my lunch box and zip it shut. I don’t know what I’ll end up eating from this smorgasbord, but it’ll get me through the next 8 hours until Spring Break actually begins.

2 Responses to #SOL19 Day 29: In Need of Spring Break