Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL19 Day 27: Things to Finish

I stopped my audiobook last night with just over 2 hours remaining. I need to complete about 20 more rows on the scarf I am knitting. As much as I want to lay in this warm bed a little longer, I am determined that I will go to school with both of these things finished. I let out a soft groan, throw back the covers, and roll out of bed.

My toes poke around next to the bed to find the slippers that will keep them warm. I take the three steps to the bathroom door and grab my chunky, blue bathrobe. I slide my arms in and fasten the tie as I make my way downstairs. I am rewarded by a beep announcing that my coffee is ready.

With a full mug of coffee in hand, I settle into the corner of the couch to get started. I increase the playback speed of the audiobook to 1.75x and press play. Coyote, from The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart, is waking up just like I am.

Our school media specialist read this book over the weekend, and a student in my class is probably going to show up today and tell me that she finished the book last night. I have to leave early for a staff meeting, so my time this morning is limited. It would be torture to be a few chapters short of finishing and not get to talk about this book with them today!

I reach over and grab the pile of jade heather wool yarn that is my almost-completed scarf. I started it over Winter Break and made lots of progress on our numerous snow/cold days, but it’s been hard to find time for it lately. With this morning’s below-freezing temperatures, my scarf will be welcomed on the drive to school, and probably even at afternoon recess. I just don’t want anyone to blame the cold that happens in April on me, so this needs to be done today!

I sit on my couch for the next 90 minutes, sipping my coffee and enjoying my morning with these two jobs that just must be finished.

7 Responses to #SOL19 Day 27: Things to Finish