Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL18 Day 23: Word Parade

I love putting together costumes, even though I usually seem to be doing it at the last minute. In March, we have two different costume events: Dress Like a Book Character Day and Word Parade. The word parade is definitely my favorite.

What is a Word Parade? Others call it a Vocabulary Parade. It’s based on a picture book called Miss Alaineus by Debra Frasier which is equally wonderful. It’s a chance to share an interesting word, phrase, idiom, or pun with everyone else at the school.

My word was conundrum. I got the idea from a Slice of Life post, last week I think it was. I made a poster with the word and its definition on one side. I carried a poster with the question: How can you use exactly four 9s and no more than two math symbols to equal the number 10? I walked through the parade with different quizzical expressions on my face. Such fun!

The other words and costumes were amazing, too! One teacher had a sign that said “Running out of womb.” As you might guess, she has a visible baby belly. Other words were kaleidoscope, germaphobe, and deer in headlights. I can’t possibly name them all. I’m so glad we had lots of people taking pictures!

2 Responses to #SOL18 Day 23: Word Parade