Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL18 Day 15: Nature Breaks

Don’t underestimate the benefit of looking at nature. I’ve read this many times and experienced its truth, and yet, another reminder is always needed.

I’m sitting in my almost-windowless classroom working on report cards with the door closed. My back is to the window. I get a phone call and need to walk down to the office to check on something. In the hallway, the large windows overlook the playground, letting in the sunshine. By the time I get back to my desk, I have a new surge of energy that helps me work for another hour.

It could have been the change in the task or even the physical activity that helped me become more productive. I’m sure these factors help, but I’ve also noticed a surge in productivity from the background that appears when I open a new tab on my computer. I decide to test it out when I’m ready for my next break.

Sure enough, on the new tab I’m greeted by a row of bright, colorful beach huts overlooking Muizenberg Beach Huts, Western Cape, South Africa. It brings a smile to my face. I give myself a minute to look at the image before getting back to work. My next break is going to be a few minutes outdoors.

Not the same image as on my wallpaper, but another inspiring photo from @GettyImages.

3 Responses to #SOL18 Day 15: Nature Breaks