Wonders All Around

Learning Alongside My 5th Grade Wonders

By

#SOL18 Day 10: The Weekend’s Here

I found myself asking, “Is it Friday yet?!” on Tuesday. We had something going on in the evening every day this week, crunch times are approaching for several projects, and I’ve had multiple nights of restless sleep. To throw me for another loop, when I walked my class down to the media center on Friday afternoon, I discovered that our media specialist was absent and there was no guest teacher; well, actually there was…me. I need the weekend to be here!

After school, the whole family climbed into the car to go to the fish dinner at our church. It was so nice to sit down, eat a delicious meal (I had the salmon), and have everything taken care of for us. I was still tired, but that recharged me a bit.

After that, my daughter and I stopped by the family game night at our school. We started with Cardline: Animals. I’ve heard about this series of games but never played any of them. I highly recommend it as it was easy to learn, fun to play, moves pretty quickly, and you even learn things while playing. After that, we switched to ThinkFun’s Circuit Maze. We have several of their games (Rush Hour, Hoppers, and CodeMaster) because I love a good puzzle. This one was just as good as the others.

As we were playing, one of my students came up to say hi and see what we were doing. I adore this child, but I frequently say to him, “Do you think a productive break would help right now?” He and the rest of the class think I mean to help him, but I know it’s mostly to help me.

The amazing thing is that he and my daughter, who’s a year younger than him, got along so well together. They worked together on one Circuit Maze after another. They laughed, challenged each other, and asked me for hints when they got stuck. Soon, his mom came over and sat with us. We all chatted together about non-school things, went through three different games (Gobblet, Mancala, and Pentago), and really enjoyed our evening. I was still ready for bed by the time we got home, but dinner and family game night were just what I needed to get my weekend off to a lovely start!

One Response to #SOL18 Day 10: The Weekend’s Here